Saturday, July 16, 2011

Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

"Yes, you are right, Fiz. I wish it never happened!" Said Zharif, biting one of his fingernails.

"I don't know what to say more, she has to be strong. I do not want to see any one of you sad, I can't... She doesn't want to listen to me, why don't you try to talk to her instead, Fiz, please?" Said Zharif worriedly; keeping his eyes on his hand phone, waiting for a reply from Ilya.

“She won’t talk to me Hafiz, please” Pleaded Zharif.

"Why, me? Zharif, she trusts you more than she trusts me!" Hafiz explained, walking across back and forth as he spoke.
"I think she needs a little time alone, Zharif." Said Hafiz listlessly. "Yes, I know it is hard for her. It is hard for us. But I guess time heals everything, right? I hope you understand, Zharif."

"Remember what happened to me two years ago, Zharif?" He asked.

"My mother passed away two years ago, and look, though I was a man in agony - I had you and Ilya; I mean you guys kept me going. You kept me alive. I am very happy to have you both. Listen to me Zharif, she will make it somehow. I don't know how long will it takes, but trust me, she will." Said Hafiz, smiling at Zharif.

“You smile, Fiz? I hope you don’t forget about Adam, he was there for you too.” Cried Zharif; coming over and sitting next to Hafiz.

“Yes, it’s all right, Zharif. Everything happens for a reason; it could have been me instead of Adam...”

Zharif and Hafiz were talking about the death of Adam which happened a day before. Ilya, she found it hard to accept. She was too fond of Adam. They had been together for six years since high school. All of them were great friends, including Adam. It wasn't easy for them to believe the news about Adam.

“But it’s terrible, Hafiz, terrible!” Cried Zharif.

“Now Adam is gone… Then who’s next, you, me, Ilya?”

“I cannot take it anymore...” Said Zharif listlessly.

“I am so worried about Ilya, I hope everything is fine. What is she doing now, I have to know. I think I’m going to Ilya’s to pay a visit. I don’t think she’s fine. If you said time heals everything, then I have to be there for her, whatever time it may be, I’m going to make this easier for her.” Said Zharif while helping himself up from the seat.

Hafiz grabbed his hand and said, “But Zharif, she could grow worse. She didn’t answer your call or even reply your SMS.”

Zharif looked into the sky for a couple of seconds.

“Don’t you think she needs the space? Don’t go. Do whatever you want, but don’t bother about her, please, she needs the space, Zharif.” Asked Hafiz after a long pause.

“You go get a rest, today is too much for you.”

After a few seconds, Zharif turned his head down, slowly and said, “I guess I’ll be going home then...”

“Zharif...”

Zharif could not hide his emotion from Hafiz; ripping his hand away from Hafiz’s grasp. Hafiz looked at his face and; His face, really influenced the situation.

“Zharif, please you said you don’t want to see any one of us sad. Put a smile on your face, don’t just leave like that!” Hafiz could not hide his grievance but trying to prove that they should not cry.

“Fiz, I cannot take it anymore...” Said Zharif in a sad tone; wiping his tears.

“I thought you were stronger, Zharif, stronger than anyone else. Stronger than me, Adam and Ilya. Stay here with me, we can talk. About Adam, he is gone, let past be past Zharif, there is nothing much we can do. About Ilya, I am sure that she is fine, she's all right, you just need to give her the space. You cannot go to her house, I won’t allow you to, you have to promise!" Cried Hafiz angrily.

Zharif didn't care to listen more, he walked across the street into his car before he started the engine and drove away. Hafiz put his hand on his forehead, he felt sad that Zharif reacted negatively; he knew it was not Zharif’s personality trait at all. – That brought tears to his eyes.

2 comments: